The Naval Update Map shows the approximate current locations of U.S. Carrier Strike Groups and Amphibious Ready Groups, based on available open-source information. No classified or operationally sensitive information is included in this weekly update. CSGs and ARGs are the keys to U.S. dominance of the world's oceans. A CSG is centered on an aircraft carrier, which projects U.S. naval and air power and supports a Carrier Air Wing. The CSG includes significant offensive strike capability. An ARG is centered on three amphibious warfare ships, with a Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked. An MEU is built around a heavily reinforced and mobile battalion of Marines.
Carrier Strike Groups
- The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CSG with Carrier Air Wing 7 embarked is under way in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility conducting missions supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS John C. Stennis CSG with Carrier Air Wing 9 embarked is under way in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR conducting missions supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS George Washington CSG with Carrier Air Wing 5 is under way in the Philippine Sea while conducting a patrol of the western Pacific in support of the regional security and stability of the vital Asia-Pacific region.
- The USS Nimitz is under way in the Pacific Ocean conducting a Composite Training Unit Exercise.
- The USS Harry S. Truman is under way in the Atlantic Ocean for Carrier Qualifications with the Training Air Wing 1 and 2 in the Jacksonville OPAREA.
Amphibious Ready Groups/Marine Expeditionary Units
- The USS Peleliu ARG with the 15th MEU embarked is in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR supporting maritime security operations and conducting theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Bonhomme Richard ARG with the 31st MEU embarked is under way in the Philippine Sea.
- The USS Iwo Jima ARG with the 24th MEU embarked is under way in the Mediterranean Sea.
- The USS Boxer is under way in the Pacific Ocean for flight deck certification.
- The USS Wasp with the 26th MEU embarked is off the coast of New York assisting in recovery operations in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
- The USS Bataan is in Naval Station Mayport, Florida, in preparation for the Navy-Marine Corps Classic basketball game, between the University of Florida Gators and the Georgetown University Hoyas, which will be played on board the ship Nov. 9.