The Naval Update Map shows the approximate current locations of U.S. Carrier Strike Groups and Amphibious Ready Groups, based on available open-source information. No classified or operationally sensitive information is included in this weekly update. CSGs and ARGs are the keys to U.S. dominance of the world's oceans. A CSG is centered on an aircraft carrier, which projects U.S. naval and air power and supports a Carrier Air Wing. The CSG includes significant offensive strike capability. An ARG is centered on three amphibious warfare ships, with a Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked. An MEU is built around a heavily reinforced and mobile battalion of Marines.
Carrier Strike Groups
- The USS John C. Stennis CSG with Carrier Air Wing 9 embarked is under way in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR conducting missions supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CSG with Carrier Air Wing 7 embarked is under way in the U.S. 6th Fleet AOR.
- The USS Harry S. Truman is under way in the Atlantic Ocean conducting routine training.
Amphibious Ready Groups/Marine Expeditionary Units
- The USS Peleliu ARG with the 15th MEU embarked is in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR supporting maritime security operations and conducting theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Iwo Jima ARG with the 24th MEU embarked is under way in the Mediterranean Sea.
- The USS Boxer is under way in the Pacific Ocean conducting a replenishment-at-sea.