Editor's Note: The following is an internal Stratfor document listing significant meetings and events planned for the next week. Stratfor analysts use this to stay informed of the activities and travel of world leaders and to guide their areas of focus for the week.
- May 27: EU foreign ministers will meet in Brussels to discuss the sanctions on Syria.
- May 27-30: Indian army chief Gen. Bikram Singh will continue his visit to Paris to discuss defense cooperation with French military officials.
- May 28-29: The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development Forum will take place in Paris.
- May 28-June 1: Uruguayan President Jose Mujica will embark on a trip to Spain seeking to attract investment. He will take an inaugural Montevideo-Madrid flight, speak to King Juan Carlos and hold meetings with Spanish and European companies.
- May 29: Binding bids are to be submitted for the purchase of Greek natural gas company DEPA, which is being privatized.
- May 29: The Italian Parliament is expected to start debating institutional reforms, such as a new election law.
- May 29: The EU Commission will present its country-specific recommendations regarding fiscal and structural reforms.
- May 30: The EU Committee of the Regions, representing local and regional views regarding EU matters, will hold its 101 plenary session in Brussels.
- May 30: French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel will meet in Paris to discuss a joint initiative to tackle Europe's growth and unemployment crises.
FORMER SOVIET UNION
- May 27-28: The heads of state, foreign ministers and defense ministers of the Collective Security Treaty Organization will meet in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- May 28: Brussels will host another round of consultations on a Russia-EU deal on easing visa regulations.
- May 29: Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia will gather for a summit in Astana, Kazakhstan, to discuss issues related to the Customs Union. Kiev expects the memorandum applying for observer status to be signed by representatives of the Customs Union countries.
- May 29: Former Croatian President Stjepan Mesic and Deputy Prime Minister Milanka Opacic will visit Baku to attend the second World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue.
- May 31: The Commonwealth of Independent States will hold a session of the Heads of Government Council in Minsk.
- June 2: Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov will attend the American Jewish Committee Global Forum.
- May 27: Indian Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid will continue his visit to Saudi Arabia to discuss security issues and the implementation of the Nitaqat employment law.
- May 27: Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla will continue his visit to India.
- May 27-28: U.S. Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman will continue her visit to Bangladesh for the second U.S.-Bangladesh Partnership Dialogue.
- May 27-28: The third United Arab Emirates-Korea Economic Partnership Forum will be held in Seoul.
- May 27-28: Uruguayan President Jose Mujica will continue his visit to China in order to attract investments for the railroad and port sectors in his country.
- May 27-28: Pakistan's National Assembly will likely hold its first session.
- May 29: The newly elected members of Pakistan's Punjab Provincial Assembly will be sworn into office.
- May 31: Elections will be held for Bhutan's National Assembly.
- May 31-June 1: Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will make an official visit to Sri Lanka.
- May 27-30: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa will visit China.
- May 27-30: Fijian Prime Minister Josaia Voreqe Bainimarama will visit China.
- May 27-30: Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will visit Tokyo and hold talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. A summit is planned for May 29.
- May 28-30: Singaporean President Tony Tan Keng Yam will visit Brunei.
- May 29: The Bank of Japan will hold a meeting with government bond market participants to discuss recent increases in Japanese government bond yields and the central bank's ongoing operations.
- May 29-June 4: The president of the Pacific island nation of Kiribati, Anote Tong, will visit Taiwan and open an embassy in Taipei on May 31.
- May 30-31: Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will visit Thailand.
- May 31-June 2: The Asia Security Summit, better known as the Shangri-La Dialogue, will be held in Singapore. On the sidelines of the meeting, the defense chiefs of South Korea, Japan and the United States will hold their first trilateral meeting in four years.
- Unspecified date: Venezuelan opposition coalition MUD has stated that it will release a second audio recording of a conversation between pro-government journalist Mario Silva and a Cuban intelligence officer over internal corruption and crises in the government.
- May 27-29: Argentine Industrial Minister Debora Giorgi will travel to Peru and Colombia leading a delegation of small- and medium-size enterprises.
- May 27-June 2: U.S. Vice President Joe Biden will continue a tour through Latin America, visiting Colombia, Brazil and Trinidad & Tobago in order to talk with heads of state and boost bilateral cooperation.
- May 28: YPF will inaugurate new fuel-producing infrastructure in the Lujan de Cuyo Industrial Complex in Mendoza, Argentina.
- May 28: Argentina's agriculture union syndicate, Enlace, will begin a strike season over the government's agricultural policy.
- May 30-31: Chilean President Sebastian Pinera will make an official visit to Canada.
- May 31-June 1: German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle will visit Mexico as part of a broader campaign to strengthen German ties with Latin America.
MIDDLE EAST/NORTH AFRICA
- May 27-30: The International Mine Countermeasures Exercise will continue in Bahrain.
- May 27-28: A three-day business summit hosted by the Confederation of Tunisian Citizen Enterprises will continue outside Tunis, bringing foreign investors and Tunisian entrepreneurs together.
- May 28-29: French Trade Minister Nicole Bricq will visit Algeria to meet with Algerian officials and discuss trade ties.
- May 29: Iran will host a meeting in Tehran on the ongoing civil war in Syria.
- May 29: A group of businessmen from Turkey, including 19 associated with the steel industry, will travel to Angola for official talks on potential economic partnerships.
- May 29-June 4: Algeria will host the Algiers International Trade Fair.
- May 29-30: Representatives from Egypt, Jordan, the Palestinian territories and other countries will attend a conference hosted by the Union for the Mediterranean in Barcelona to discuss foreign investment and water management.
- May 27-30: South African mine and construction workers unions and employers will continue their negotiations on the pay of the workers.
- May 27: The African Union Jubilee Anniversary Summit will be held at the headquarters of the organization in Addis Ababa.
- May 29: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is scheduled to address the nation.